Monday, May 12, 2014

Our Mother's Day

This weekend my parents came to visit so my dad could help Jeremy fix his dryer which hasn't been working.  Since they were in town Thomas came so he could be with all of us for Mother's Day.  Saturday we had an amazing day full of outside time and even went to the Splash Park!  Sunday morning Carter woke up a little after 6 am and I felt awful.  I tried to get him to go back to sleep in our bed, but he wasn't having it and Ty had gotten up with him on Saturday, so we got up.  After I changed his diaper I left his pants off and let him walk around in socks, a diaper, and a shirt.  He looked so adorable, but so grown up.  I can't believe how much his legs have thinned out.  Where has all the baby pudge gone?!!?

We had fun playing in the morning, but I just wasn't feeling myself and neither was Carter.  I felt like my stomach was ripping apart and made numerous trips to the restroom.  Carter was a bit fussier than normal and had some really bad diapers.  One that required a clothing change.  I think we may have both been fighting some sort of stomach bug or viral infection.  I whispered in Carter's ear, "I'd rather be sick and get to be home with you, than be healthy and anywhere else."  He smiled and continued on with his tooting.  I'm sure he passed it on to me from daycare.  I've come to find out that the germs that cycle through daycare are different than the germs that cycle through my classroom therefore my immunities aren't quite as strong as I'd hope.  Will that stop me from sharing my food with Carter, kissing all over Carter, accepting his slobbery kisses, and wiping his nose for him?  Absolutely not.  Part of a momma's job is taking care of her sick baby and along with that typically comes powering right on through the exact same ailment as your child.
Listening to "What Grandmas Do Best" for Mother's Day.
Playing with Bobby.

Around lunch time I really started feeling horrible so I laid down while Ty fed Carter and put him down for a nap.  I ended up sleeping myself and woke up feeling much better.  I felt so much better I decided to venture out for a run since Carter was still sleeping.  That was a mistake.  I made it out about 3/4 of a mile before having the extreme urge to use the restroom.  I was too far away from home to make it back and the nearest restroom was a QuikTrip I could see in the distance.  I'll spare you the details, but it was not pretty.  I learned my lesson, next time wait for long enough after a nap to make sure you honestly do feel better.  I had to walk part of the run, but still made it home before Carter woke up because he took a 3 hour nap!

For dinner Ty grilled chicken breast and we pulled our patio table and chairs out into the yard where the tree casts shade.  Carter loved eating outside and I loved that we could just leave his mess.  Not that there was anything left between Harper and my parents' 4 dogs.  Mother's Day cards and gifts were given after dinner.  Ty had Carter color me a picture.  It was the first piece of artwork Carter had done at home without me supervising.  It was a nice surprise!  The best gift of all came at bedtime when Carter decided he wanted rocked for an extra long time, most likely due to not feeling well.  I soaked up every bit of it, smelling his hair, feeling his soft skin against my cheek, enjoying the weight of his body pressed against my chest.
Enjoying dinner outside.
The picture Ty helped Carter make me.
The gift Carter made me at daycare.
Enjoying my extra snuggles!
Ready for bed, hugging Buddy the Bear.
After reading last year's Mother's Day post I guess being sick on Mother's Day is kind of my thing because I was sick last year too.

This morning as I was getting my breakfast ready Carter walked to the back door and desperately wanted to play outside.  He had woken up early so we had a little bit of extra time.  We headed out for a few minutes and he played while I ate my breakfast.  It was so perfect and I loved the little bit of outside time in the morning.  I am so excited to have the time to play outside any morning we feel like it.  If Carter wants to go outside and play we'll be able to go out for as long as we want.  We won't have to go inside because we are crunched on time and have somewhere to be.  We will be able to go inside when we feel like it.  Only 13 more days as a working mom!  Now that's the best gift any momma could ever have!
Please, let's go outside to play!
Checking out the yard while I ate breakfast.
Swing time this morning!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. And he and Bobbie were playing, like you said, even though the picture doesn't look like it.

    ReplyDelete