Sunday, May 4, 2014

Whole Family Weekend

This weekend we traveled to Ty's hometown to visit family and run the Tough Mudder (more on it to come later).  My parents and both brothers met us.  Jeremy and Thomas to run the race.  Dad and mom to spectate.  We left Friday evening at bedtime just as we had on our last trip to Ty's parents' house, but this time it didn't work out as well as last time.  Carter and I were getting ready to run after arriving home on Friday and began rolling around playing on the floor.  Carter started acting sleeping and twirling my hair.  The last thing I remember was thinking "I shouldn't let Carter fall asleep so he'll sleep in the car."  When Ty arrived home he found both of us sleeping on the floor.  So much for Carter going right to sleep in the car.  He ended up not falling asleep until 9 pm, 2 hours after bedtime.  The only way I got him to fall asleep was by reaching back and cupping his face in my hand.  It was extremely uncomfortable, but it was the only thing that worked!  I ended up getting a migraine in the car and it was in full-blown miserable mode by the time we arrived.  So I pretty much went straight to bed when we arrived and hoped my head would feel better in the morning.
Ready for the 4 hour drive.

Thanks to Ty's parents getting up with Carter at 6:30 am for their special playtime, Ty and I were able to sleep in.  I groggily woke up around 9 am with my head still pounding a bit, but feeling much better than the night before.  Carter was ready for a snack when I woke up so I got to watch him eat out of little containers while sitting in a tiny chair his Papa made special for him to sit at his grandparents' coffee table.  After a light breakfast we all ventured outside to play.  Carter enjoyed watching everyone play basketball and even joined in.  After a while he decided soccer is more fun and started kicking the basketball around. 
Enjoying some blueberries and cereal.
Thinking about sharing with Harper.


Carter also enjoyed playing with dandelions and spreading the seeds all through the yard.  Poor Leina and Rocky are going to have a yard filled with dandelions!  Leina showed Carter how to blow the seeds off the dandelions.  After that Carter walked around holding the dandelion (with it no where near his face) while blowing air from his mouth.  He also rode around on a big wheel bike that was put together especially for him by his grandpa.  Ty and his brother, Paul, each got a big wheel bike as a birthday present from their Grandma and Grandpa Shupe when they were 2 years old.  When the bikes were worn out and no longer used, Rocky took the bikes apart and saved the parts that could be used.  The parts that were still usable were then put together to make a special blended bike of Ty and Paul's bike parts.  So Carter was riding on a bike riden by both his dad and uncle as well as given as a gift from his great grandparents.  I didn't find out until later what a special bike Carter was riding around, but I did know he loved riding it ridiculously fast down the hill toward their garage.  Little man has no fear!
Taking an adventure through the yard with grandma.
 




When Carter went down for a nap it was time for us to leave for the race.  We all loaded up while Rocky and Leina stayed home with Carter.  I was sad knowing I would be away from Carter for so long, but I was excited to run the race.  Sweet Carter was so tired he took a 3 hour nap, I'm sure due to the late bedtime followed by an early morning wake-up.  When he woke up his grandparents met with Great Grandma and Grandpa Shupe and headed to feed ducks at the pond.  From the stories they shared, Carter was more interested in feeding himself than the ducks.  I couldn't help but think, why feed Harper your own food but then eat the duck food rather than feeding them?!!?  He is definitely a silly boy.  After arriving home from the duck pond Carter very politely asked for dinner by walking over to his hair chair, shaking it, and banging it on the floor.  That's his new way of asking for food and it cracks me up!
Now that's a nap!


Sneaking the bread into his own mouth.
Eating some corn on the cob with dinner.
 

When we arrived home Leina brought Carter out to say hello.  He smiled and squealed when he saw us and I was so excited to see him I ran toward him.  He decided to also run toward me and tripped on the concrete and fell leaving nasty bruises on his forehead and cheek, poor little guy.  He sure was brave though and walked it off after some love and snuggles.  Carter's Gigi and Papa came over for dinner and enjoyed playing with Carter too.  One of his latest things is putting his hands behind his back when he walks.  The only thing I can think of is that the big kids at daycare tuck their hands behind their backs when walking from their classroom to the "motor room".  Possibly Carter's class is also asked to do that because I've noticed he does it when he wants to go outside and then he stands by the door.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, who knows!  Then I saw a picture of me doing it while walking so maybe he's just seen me do it.  It's a bit of a habit from walking through the hallways at school modeling for students.
Poor buddy's bruises.
Hands tucked.
Wanting to go outside.
 





This morning Carter woke up bright and early again for playtime with his grandparents.  His grandma set up a special toy area for him to play in the living room as well as a special bed for Harper in the closet of the room we slept in.  I had to get pictures of both because they were so cute!  Carter enjoyed playing chase with his grandma and, of course, Harper had to get involved!  Carter also loved catching her and loving on her.  Our plan was to leave at naptime so Carter would sleep for the first half of the drive.  Ty left to gas up the car and Carter just couldn't hold out and fell asleep in his grandpa's arms about 30 minutes before his regular naptime.  He still took a good 2 hour nap in the car before waking up hungry.  He ate a snack in the car and then we stopped at a playground to play for a bit.  The playground had sand on the ground and Carter loved playing with it.  I couldn't believe he didn't try to shove fist fulls in his mouth.  He mostly loved lifting his fists in the air and letting the sand go flying through the wind.  I kept thinking how much he would love visiting his Uncle Paul and Aunt Amanda in Florida!  We made it home safely and are looking forward to our next trip back in a couple of weeks when Paul and Amanda will be visiting!
Harper's special bed within a closet, notice her stuffed snow leopard.
Playing in his play corner with grandma.
Chasing grandma while Harper tags along.


Asleep with Grandpa.
 


Carter reached up and grabbed my hand to hold.  I love my boy!

4 comments:

  1. Good post though I don't know how you had the time or energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was exhausted and actually got a migraine as I was trying to finish up the post! I wanted to get everything down though.

      Delete
  2. I love that Carter man and can't wait to see him in a week or so!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are soooo excited! I can't believe Garrett is already a month old!

      Delete