Monday, June 11, 2018

Spring Reading List

It has been summer here for weeks since Carter has been out of school and now it's almost officially summer according to the seasons, so I'm going to post our favorite books from the spring. It doesn't seem like we found as many wonderful reads as we usually do. But honestly we're getting to the point where we've read a huge portion of the books at the library just down the road. To find new and exciting books we haven't read yet we're better off visiting a different library which we will do more often this summer since Carter is out of school and the summer reading program means there will be lots of awesome events going on. Read last year's list here, 2016's list here, 2015's list here, and 2014's list here.

Our Top Reading Choices From This Spring: 


  • I Want to Be in a Scary Story by Sean Taylor, The story was about a monster who wanted to be in a scary story but got too scared. His responses to the scary stimuli was hilarious. He said the goofiest things that had me and the kids all laughing. We read this one over and over until it was due. It's one I would send as a special Halloween present to our nephew. It was so cute!


  • Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French, One of the kids picked this one out at the library and once we started reading it I recognized it and knew we'd read it before. I don't think it made it to our favorites list when we read it before, but if it did, sorry I'm being redundant. Carter loved it and thought it was hilarious. I'd find him retelling the story to Elise while they both laughed and flipped through the book which warmed my heart. I enjoyed it as well and didn't mind reading it over and over with them.


  • Spots in a Box by Helen Ward, I really liked this book. It was a sweet book to remind us we should love ourselves just the way we are and look for the positive in our lives.


  • Dragons Father and Son by Alexandre Lacroix, This story about a boy dragon who was sent out by his father to burn down a house but couldn't do it once he met the people was so cute. Carter really enjoyed it. My favorite part was when the boy told the dragon he should burn down his school. That cracked me up! (Change link)


  • Tillie Lays an Egg by Terry Golson, We loved this book! Tillie was a silly chicken who laid her eggs in strange places. I liked that it told where she laid her egg on each day of the week. I wished I'd known about the book when we did our days of the week learning theme. The kids really liked searching for her egg on each page and telling me where she had laid it.


  • No, David! by David Shannon, This has been a favorite around our house for a while. Carter likes it because he can read it all by himself. He also enjoys reading the pictures to add more to the story. Elise recently became obsessed with the book and wants me to read it to her multiple times a day. It's great because it can be read in so many ways. I can lead her to reading the words, Carter can read it, or I can point to things or ask questions to have her read the pictures. I always liked this book because it was an easy reader and my students love it but now I have an even deeper appreciation for how awesome it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment