Our Favorite Books:
- Petra by Marianna Coppo- This book was so cute. It was about a rock who pretended she was different things and no matter what she was she found a way to be happy.
- Look Up With Me by Jennifer Berne- This book was about Neil deGrasse Tyson. My favorite part of the book was the intro he wrote for it. The kids loved it and Carter became very interested in astrophysicists after reading the book which was really cool. He also made the connection from this book to the book we read about the scientist who discovered Pluto isn't a planet. I was impressed.
- Puppy Mudge by Cynthia Rylant- I always had students in class who loved Henry and Mudge books. We discovered the Puppy Mudge series at the library this summer and they were Carter's favorite. They were easy readers that he could read on his own but were actually really good with a plot and enjoyable story. That's a bit hard to find in early reader books. We recommended these to friends who are also new readers.
- The Backup Bunny by Abigail Rayner- This book was about a stuffed bunny who was the backup for when the boy lost his special bunny. Elise adored this book and wanted to read it over and over. It was a cute book.
- Goldilocks and Just One Bear by Leigh Hodgkinson- This book was so cute. Baby Bear is grown up and ends up in Goldilocks' apartment. Not only is it a funny play on Goldilocks on the Three Bears, but it's hilarious because she has Baby Bear sit on a cactus and drink out of a fish bowl. We all loved this and I didn't mind reading it over and over.
- Grumpy Monkey by Suzanne Lang- Elise loved this book. We read it so many times! I liked that the monkey didn't think he was grumpy when he really was. I remember that happening with me as a kid so I know it's something kids can definitely relate to.
- Mixed: A Colorful Story by Arree Chung- This was a super cute book about color mixing and about accepting other people regardless of their outer appearance. Elise adored the book and wanted to read it over and over. She enjoyed chiming in with the color words when I read and left them out.
- Crash, Splash, or Moo! by Bob Shea- This was a fun interactive book where you guessed the outcome of different stunts. Carter thought it was hilarious. It was really cute to hear Carter and Elise laughing over the book together.
- The Adventures of Otto Series by David Milgrim- This was another series Carter loved reading. They were easy readers but were actually decently funny.