Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day Weekend

Friday evening Ty's parents came into town and arrived just in time for dinner. They treated us to dinner out and then we had a fun evening getting the kids to bed and then chatting. Elise had been battling a bit of a cold and/or allergies as well as teething so she had a rough night. Saturday morning she was up early after being awake from 10-12:30 the night before. Wonderful Leina got up with her and let me sleep in otherwise I would have been so tired! After Elise's morning nap Ty and Rocky worked on our bathroom remodel while Leina and I took the kids to the art museum. We have a membership and it was also free admission. They had a couple of art activities set up for kids to make and take home with them. One was a Mother's Day card made with buttons and the other was decorating a pot to put flowers in. Carter really enjoyed himself and we even walked through some of the galleries looking at artwork and he showed off his museum walk for his Gma, tucking his hands behind his back when he approached artwork. We packed a lunch and walked down into a hiking area, Carter and I had discovered on our last trip to the museum, for a picnic lunch. It was the perfect morning and I had so much fun showing Leina somewhere we frequent during the week. When we got home the kids went down for naps and Leina and I headed out to look at bathroom decor for our new bathroom remodel. We will be putting in a brown vanity so I didn't feel like our gray shower curtain would match anymore. After shopping Leina headed to church and I took the kids for a walk after they woke up. Carter wanted to ride his trike and by the time we made it to where there's sidewalk, he was pretty much over it. I was cracking up because he stopped at a cement pad and wanted to ride his bike in circles to "put on a show" for me and Elise and we would clap for him as he rode along. Then he wanted me to get up on the pad and do a show for him by dancing which was mildly embarrassing as it is right next to a busy road with cars driving by, but I survived. Leina prepared a chicken alfredo crock pot dinner which was delicious. When I was laying in bed with Carter to help him fall asleep for his nap, I saw on Facebook that one of Thomas' best friends was playing a show in town with his band. Leina and Rocky agreed to watch the kids so we could go and it was so nice to go out with Ty and listen to some live music. Ty hadn't heard them play before and was quite impressed. It was such a fun night, especially because we got to watch Leina putting Elise to sleep with our new camera monitor which we can access on our phones using an app from a considerable distance away!
Gma helping Carter make a flower pot.
Adding the soil.
Enjoying our picnic lunch.
Our walk on Saturday evening.

Sunday morning Ty and I again slept in, thanks to Leina and Rocky getting up with the kids. Talk about a Mother's Day treat! Then we were busy getting ready to host Mother's Day brunch at our house. I was super excited to have both mothers in town for Mother's Day as my mom and dad are living with Jeremy until he is able to drive and live on his own. Carter and I had made invitations for our brunch earlier in the week and he was also quite excited. Ty and Rocky cooked the food while I decorated the table. I just put table cloths on the table and used the flowers from the art museum as center pieces. Then I put Carter and Elise's art work for their Oma and Gma on the table. Ty and Rocky made eggs with peppers, cinnamon roll pancakes (which were amazing!), bacon, home fries, and a fruit bowl with cantaloupe, grapes, and strawberries. It was a delicious meal and I was so full I didn't eat again until dinner! After brunch it was time for Elise to go down for a nap. Leina had brought special nail polish to paint Elise's nails for the first time. Since she was tired, she was sucking her thumb so we decided on just painting her toenails. They looked so adorable and I giggled every time I looked at them. When Carter saw Elise's nails, he wanted his painted too so Leina also painted his toenails. Then he requested his fingernails be painted as well, so she obliged. He was cracking me up, so proud over his painted nails. He was calling in to her later to tell her some of his paint had chipped off and she needed to touch it up! After Carter went down for his nap, Rocky and Leina headed home. Jeremy and my parents headed out shortly after to get some things done at Jeremy's house. That evening Jeremy, Thomas, mom, and dad came back over for dinner and puzzles. They treated us to Andolini's pizza which is amazing and then we put together puzzles Carter had picked out for Oma for Mother's Day. After the kids went to bed for the night we played a new game my parents had which was a lot of fun. Our Mother's Day weekend was a weekend filled with love, laughter, and fun. We are so fortunate to have such wonderful families and to live so close to those we love!
The boys cooking us brunch.
With my babies!
Group shot.
Elise's first nail painting.
Carter checking out his painted nails.
Elise's sweet pink toes!
Elise playing puzzles with Oma.

No comments:

Post a Comment