Friday, February 20, 2015

Finally a Snow Day!

I'd been hearing for a few days that there was a chance of snow on Sunday night.  When Sunday evening came and there were no signs of snow I had given up hope.  We went to bed that night to the sound of thunder and rain.  The rain froze and then eventually turned to snow.  Monday morning when Carter woke up I peeked through the blinds and saw white covering everything.  To top it all off Ty had the day off for President's Day so he was home with us!  Carter and I let Ty sleep in while we played.  I tried to talk him into going outside, I even opened the curtains to show him all the snow, but he had all kinds of things he wanted to do inside before we ventured out.  Once Ty got up I started vacuuming to get ready for Jake's arrival and of course that's when Carter decided he wanted to go outside.  Ty took Carter out front to play in the snow while he cleared our sidewalk.  When I finished vacuuming I took Carter out back to play while Ty headed out in search of rock salt.  Since it had rained everything was covered in a thick layer of ice underneath the snow.  Carter flew down the slide since it was covered in ice.  Carter caught Harper eating snow so he got his toy knife and kept scooping up snow, trying to feed it to her.  Then Carter grabbed his car and started making tracks in the snow.  It was so cute because he wanted to make tire tracks in the snow just like he'd done in the white Play Doh.  While we were playing I got a text from Jake's mom that she was staying home from work.
 
 
 
 
Making tracks in the snow with his tractor.
 
Carter did such a great job wearing his mittens while we were outside.  All the sudden he was desperate to take them off.  I helped him pull them off and knew our time would be limited once his hands were bare.  The first time Carter touched the snow he started crying and ran for the back door.  Ty finished putting down the rock salt right after we came inside so we had some time all together as a family.  I decided to head out for my run while Ty played with Carter.  Thanks to the shoe spikes my parents got me for Christmas last year I had no trouble navigating the icy and snowy sidewalks.  Right as we were getting ready to eat lunch Thomas called and said he got to leave work at a half day due to the road conditions and stopped by to drop off some extra soup from lunch for us.  It turned out they had an awesome presenter for their professional development day and Thomas thought I'd really like his ideas so he bought me the man's book and had it autographed for me.  It was so sweet and made my day even better!  Thomas headed out when I put Carter down for a nap and then Ty headed out for a run.  Little mister napped for a solid 2 hours and woke up ready to head back outside.  After his snack we headed back out.  When Ty got home he met us outside so I headed back in to fill water guns with water dyed red, blue, and green.  It was so much fun spraying the snow!  
 
We ended our outdoor fun with a walk at Turkey Mountain.  Carter absolutely loves hiking there and it's so beautiful when it snows.  We took Harper with us who thoroughly enjoyed herself.  Carter had a blast checking out the tracks different people and animals had left in the snow, especially tire tracks from bikes.  It actually worked out really well to have a snow day so soon after our winter learning theme because Carter was all about the snow and linking it to things we'd learned about snow during our week.  Although when he went to make a real snow angel in the snow, he pulled his arms up away from the snow and accidentally sprayed snow on his face so that didn't work out very well!  During our walk we found a little snowman someone had made and set up on top of a rock.  Carter was thrilled.  We had tried earlier in the day to make a snowman, but the snow was terrible for packing so we couldn't make a good ball.  Carter again refused to wear any type of glove or mitten during our walk so Ty showed him to brush snow off his hands onto his coat after he fell down and caught himself.  I was amazed at how well it worked and Carter didn't fuss about getting his hands in the snow at all.  After a while he wanted to hold my hand and he enjoyed the walk even more because he didn't fall as much and it kept his hand a little warmer.  He laughed and sang and giggled the rest of the way.  At the beginning of our walk Ty had found a giant stick and was using it as a walking stick.  Toward the end of our walk Carter found a small stick laying across the trail and picked it up to use as a walking stick like daddy.  It was adorable.  As we approached the parking lot Ty threw his stick down so Carter threw his down as well.  Our walk was a great end to a fabulous snow day.  Then we came home and Ty made grilled cheese with spinach and homemade tomato soup for dinner while Carter and I played.  During dinner I told Ty thank you for making dinner.  When Carter finished eating he said, "Thank you cook, daddy!"  It was the sweetest!  Carter and I colored after dinner, called Gigi and Papa to say hello, and then took a bath.  I tucked Carter in under his new "noman" or Olaf blanket Oma and Opa bought him and he fell asleep almost instantly.  Area schools had already started cancelling school for the next day early in the evening so I knew we'd have plenty of snow left to play in the morning.
Walking at Turkey Mountain.
 
 
 
 
 
Carter and daddy with their walking sticks.
 

4 comments:

  1. Adorable! And I like the fact he wants to be like Daddy and have a walking stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cute, especially because his stick was so small and would bend a little as he pushed it on the ground.

      Delete
  2. So fun!! What a blessing that this year and last year weren't flipped, because didn't you have a lot of snow last year, which let you stay home with Carter more? So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We went over on snow days last year. I think we had like 7! So I got to be home with him on those days. It extended our school year, but was so worth it!

      Delete