Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Our First Day of Summer/Staying at Home

This morning Carter woke up at 5:30 am because he was so excited for summer, he just couldn't wait for it to begin!  I brought him to bed with us and he went back to sleep until Ty's 6:30 alarm went off.  Ty got up to shower at 6:45 but Carter and I stayed in bed and played for a while.  During the school year we had to leave the house by 7:40 at the latest.  This morning at that time we were brushing our teeth in our pjs, boo yah!  While Carter ate breakfast I was able to unload and reload the dishwasher.  We spent the morning playing in the house, doing laundry, and folding laundry.  After morning snack we headed out to run at the trails.  We ran 4 miles and then played at the park.  Carter had a blast playing on the playground and the splash pad.  He saw a baby girl, I'm guessing about 6 months old, and reached down to give her a hug.  It was so sweet!


Helping with laundry.
 


Carter's flat little footprints.
While we were at the park I got a text reminding me it was $5 Tuesday at Tropical Smoothie, meaning you get a smoothie and flatbread sandwich for $5.  When I saw the text, I thought, don't mind if I do!  Carter and I went to Tropical Smoothie on our way home.  I cut the flatbread in half and took turns drinking out of the smoothie to share.  I had to pull the smoothie away before Carter was done drinking each time because he gave himself a brain freeze on the first sip which caused him to cry.  We sat outside because Carter's shirt was wet from the splash pad.  I thought about carrying a high chair outside, but decided to have Carter sit on my lap.  It was the best!
Chowing down on a yummy smoothie!

Carter went down for a nap when we got home and I worked on getting materials ready for my tutoring student.  He woke up after an hour and a half nap and we headed to the library.  I was excited to get him signed up for the summer reading program.  When we walked in we heard music coming from a meeting room and saw a sign about a storyteller and jazz musician performing from 2:00-3:00.  It was 2:30 so I decided to go ahead and pick out our books.  Once we picked out our books I asked the librarian if we could sneak into the performance and she said yes.  We headed in and sat in the back of the room.  Carter stared, entranced with the performer which shocked me because he wasn't nearly as entertaining as the librarian we had seen when visiting Ty's parents.  Carter was all eyes for the 15 minutes of the show and sat quietly on my lap.

Back at home we went outside to eat afternoon snack picnic style in the backyard.  Jeremy came over to hang out for a while before I headed out for my tutoring appointment.  He stayed with Carter while I was gone.  He said they played with dinosaurs and blocks and ate raisins.  I got home a little bit before Ty and was so excited to see Carter.  Even with just an hour and a half away from him I couldn't wait to wrap him up in a big hug.  I'm so glad I know spending all this time with him isn't just this month and next, but for at least a year!  This morning as I cleaned Carter's face after his morning snack, I thought to myself, I am so lucky I get to be the person to wipe his face clean.  All those little moments, things I normally don't get to do, mean so much to me.  I appreciate my time with Carter so much.  Every little moment like changing his diaper or filling his sippy cup is precious to me.  I hope I never lose that appreciation and always remember how lucky I am.  That's one positive thing about working for as long as I did, it made me appreciate my time with Carter so much.
Snack time outside.

4 comments:

  1. I bet Jeremy enjoyed his time with Carter. And I love the look in his eyes as he drinks the smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did. His somewhat exact quote (not sure if I remember it word for word) was something like: Playing with Carter is more fun than anything else I could be doing.

      Delete
    2. That's Jeremy. And I'd say that's about what Thomas thinks, too. :)

      Delete
    3. So true, I'm sure all of his aunts and uncles feel that way!

      Delete