Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Carter's 18 Month Appointment

This morning was Carter's 18 month appointment.  I figured we'd come home after the appointment, he'd eat a snack, I'd change, we'd grab Harper, and we'd go to run.  On the way out to the car Carter ran back to the front door, reaching for the knob, and saying "doggy".  He wanted so badly to bring Harper with us so I explained that she couldn't go to the doctor's office, but we'd take her on a run after the appointment.  Harper is quickly becoming Carter's best friend.  He is so obsessed with her and I caught him sitting on her like a horse this morning.  I couldn't believe she didn't freak out!
He sure loves his dog!

The nurse did all the measurements before the doctor came in and I was so proud of Carter because he didn't scream when I set him down on the scale to get weighed.  That's been his thing the past few times we've gone.  Although he did cry when she measured his head, silly guy!  The first thing the doctor said when he came in was, "Wow, he's tall!"  Lately when we are at the park or another public place and someone asks how old Carter is they respond with, "Wow, he's tall!" when I say 18 months.  I figured maybe he was a little tall or maybe they weren't around many 18 month olds, but to hear the doctor say it I guess he is pretty tall.  He mentioned that he's thin which makes him seem even taller.  Little dude is 34 inches tall which puts him in the 94th percentile.  The doctor said according to the growth chart, which he also said isn't super accurate, if Carter continues growing at the part of the curve he's at, he'll be 6' 2" as an adult.  I guess he gets that height from his Papa and on my mom's side somehow because my cousin is 6' 5" tall and Jeremy is 6 feet tall.  I really didn't want to think of him some day being grown up and over 6 feet tall because it made me emotional.  He needs to always be small enough for me to hold!

Mister man still fits in some 12 month shirts and 12 month shorts fit better than 18 month shorts because his waist is so small.  So I didn't think of him as being very big, but I guess that's all due to the fact that he's so trim.  Since he doesn't have that belly for the fabric to cover, he needs less of it, and therefore smaller sizes.  He weighed in at 24.2 pounds which puts him in the 32nd percentile for weight.  I hope he always has that gift of being able to eat a lot and be thin!  People are always amazed at how much he eats and have even commented that I give him too much food, but he eats it all!  His head has finally slowed down a little bit and his head circumference was 19.4 putting him in the 88th percentile, down from the 94th percentile at 15 months.

We chatted about his pale skin and he reinforced how important it is for Carter to always have a shirt on and to be constantly wearing sunscreen when out in the sun.  He said we can use Family Off! bug spray because the mosquitoes are so bad in our backyard.  I asked him about the eczema even though it is looking so much better.  My parents brought Aveeno Baby Eczema Lotion and it has actually been working!  He hasn't been scratching at it since we started using it this weekend and it's not bright red like usual.  It's the only thing we've tried that has actually worked.  He said to keep using the lotion and if it flares up again to message him.  The spot on his head that has been there for months and used to be raised is still fine and he said the mole was okay as well.  He was impressed with how many words Carter can say.  He also mentioned that since Carter is so tall to watch him around doors because he's going to figure out how to get them open.  Let me tell ya, he sure has tried!  I'm so glad we don't have any of the pull down levers and all of our doors have knobs.  He hasn't figured those out yet!  As the doctor walked out of the room Carter waved and said "bye bye" which the doctor, although I'm sure he gets it often, still thought was precious.

It was like he knew shots were ahead, he played with both his lovies all morning!

Little man got a few more shots which he wasn't pleased about, but stopped crying immediately when I picked him up.  We headed home where he enjoyed sweet potatoes and the rest of his smoothie as a snack.  That free smoothie has been good for part of dinner, part of lunch, part of dinner again, and a snack!  We definitely got our money's worth!  Then we headed out for a run with Harper.  I was so proud of her because we ran 5 miles and she didn't sandbag at all.  She still ran a little bit behind us, but the leash wasn't pulled tight.  I just weighed her and am happy to say she has already lost a pound and a half!  Only two and a half pounds to go until she is back down to her normal weight, woot woot!!!!  So Carter got a clean bill of health and Harper is losing weight.  I am one happy momma!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great all the way around! And what is funny, at the World Cup game I noticed he was taller than some of the kids, and I figured they were small for their age. :) Kind of like when Thomas didn't fit in regular jeans I tried husky and it turned out he needed slim. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I always figured since he was wearing 12 month pants still he was small for his age, but I didn't factor in that it was the waist of the bigger sizes that didn't fit.

      Delete