Friday, July 10, 2020

4th of July

We usually spend the 4th of July with my family at my parents' house. We run the Firecracker 5k in the morning and follow that up with breakfast at McDonald's and fireworks and fun for the rest of the day. Since the coronavirus numbers in Oklahoma continue to sky rocket we didn't want to take the chance of exposing my parents if we are unwittingly carrying the virus, so we stayed home. Ty loved the bison medal for the Run OK Virtual event and wanted to sign up for the 5k. He hadn't been running but planned to finish the 5k on July 4th since the event ended on the 5th. We decided to make his 5k run into a Family Firecracker 5k. I ran the half marathon the day before and it didn't go well so I was a little unsure of how I would feel the following day. Ty said he'd likely have to walk a bit and I was totally fine with that. Carter rode his bike, Ty ran, I ran with the stroller, and Elise ran some segments and hopped in the stroller to ride the rest of the time. Elise took off running and ran about the first quarter-mile. Then she was in and out of the stroller quite a bit on the way out. After the turn around she wanted to ride in the stroller the rest of the way. Carter wobbled a little bit and scraped his leg a little after the turn around and cried and wanted to walk for a while. I told Ty to go ahead without us since he was running the race. Eventually I talked Carter into getting back on his bike. He decided to ride so slowly I couldn't even run that slow and then going up hill he just tipped his bike to the side and laid on the ground while I waited at the top of the hill for him. It was a bit annoying but we finally finished and he turned it around the last half-mile and did great. On the way home we went through the drive thru at McDonald's for a special breakfast.
Carter ready to ride his bike during our Family Firecracker 5K.
Me and Elise ready to run!






When we got home we ate our breakfast and then got ready for the day. The kids and I went to a firework stand a few days beforehand to pick up fireworks. We had fun setting off fireworks. Then I made lunch and brought it outside for us to eat. I tried to make red, white, and blue smoothies but the strawberry smoothie I made looked more pink, the whipped cream didn't show up, and the blueberry smoothie looked more purple. But the kids still thought they were really cool because they were 2 separate layers. I cut chicken nuggets into stars and used to ketchup to make them look like part of an American flag on the plate.


After lunch it was time for more fireworks. Elise loves to play with the snakes after they are done so she was super filthy. She cracks me up! Carter wanted to wear his headphones even when setting up smoke bombs which I found super entertaining since they don't make much noise at all! Elise wanted to light fireworks on her own this year. After she'd get the smoke bomb going she really took off running to get away. It was super cute. Tesla isn't a fan of fireworks, but she wanted to be outside with us. She decided she'd just sit in Ty's lap so she'd feel better about being outside around fireworks.




Elise loves playing with the snakes and gets super messy!



Tesla was a little scared of  the fireworks and climbed on Ty's lap.

Elise consoling Tesla over the fireworks.



While we waited for it to get dark so we could do our nighttime fireworks, we filled up our little swimming pool. Ty grilled burgers and fried zucchini for dinner. We took Ty's speaker outside and had a little dance party. Then the kids were in and out of the pool, going from the pool to the trampoline. They wanted me in the pool with them but it had just rained a little and the temperature dropped when that happened, so it was a little chilly for me! We did a few fireworks after dinner and then it was off to bed. It was a great day even though it was different than our norm! Carter told me normally we have more fireworks because Oma buys more when we start to run out, haha! Read about our celebrations in previous years: 2019 here, 2018 here, 2017 here, 2016 here, 2015 here, 2014 here, and 2013 here.
Enjoying the last few fireworks before bed.

2 comments:

  1. It was fun, just different, here too. It's kind of hard not to get more fireworks, when it's only a stand is only a couple of blocks away. :) Your food looked cute, I like the smoothies. The flags looked good too, though I thought that was a lot of ketchup for the number of nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely didn't use all the ketchup, but it was fun to make it look fancy!

      Delete