Monday, June 6, 2016

Lauren Elise and CHD

Friday night I volunteered at the Pink Balloon Charity Auction and Dinner benefiting the Lauren Elise Memorial Foundation. It was the 5th annual event and was held on what would have been Lauren's 8th birthday. As I watched the slide show featuring pictures of Lauren's 3 years of life I was overwhelmed with so many emotions. I felt grief over the loss of such a beautiful life. I felt heartache for her family who have spent the last 5 years missing her every single day. I felt amazed that her parents have worked together to help other families in situations like they experienced. And most of all I felt hope. Hope that what the foundation is doing will bring changes and extend lives of children born with congenital heart defects (CHD).
Lauren's mom, Kirsten, holding a pamphlet at the auction last year.

There is no way to imagine how it would feel to lose a child. It is every parent's worst nightmare. When I watched Lauren's precious face flash across the screen, I felt an ache in my heart. She was 3 years and one month old when she suffered cardiac arrest. Carter is now 3 years and 5 months old. I cannot even begin to comprehend losing him. It would be a pit of dispair I can't imagine ever climbing out of. Not only have Kirsten and Mark shown great strength and courage through the most heartbreaking experience anyone could ever endure, they have found a way to reach out to other families of children with CHD. They are making a difference. They are providing equipment to hospitals that will enable early detection. They are donating money to research. They are raising awareness about CHD in our community. They are putting a face to the cause. At the auction this year they chose heart warriors, children with CHD, and put their photos on cards so donors could contribute in their honor. It was amazing and sadening to see all the sweet faces. Children who have been dealt a difficult hand and are rising to the occasion. I knew literally nothing about CHD when I first heard Lauren's story. I actually had to google it to find out what those 3 letters stood for. I hope Lauren's story and her family's strength and struggle will inspire you to learn more, to share with others. The most powerful way to make a change is to bring the issue to the forefront of people's minds. We can't care or feel passionately about something we don't know exists. 

Two years ago while watching a video with pictures of Lauren Elise and her story, I kept thinking, what can I do to help get her story out there? How can I ensure the life of this sweet girl is shared and remembered? It was in that moment that I knew if we ever had a girl, her name would be Elise. I can't tell you how many times I've been able to share Lauren's story simply because someone asked me where Elise's name came from. It is one small way I am extending Lauren's legacy and I am so honored to do that. Please take the time to look at the foundation's website and learn more about her and her story. Please help me allow her to live on through her story, through a caring and understanding of CHD, through awareness of such a serious birth defect. Allow her face to inspire you to reach out to others, to appreciate the small moments in life, to appreciate time spent with your children. Lauren's legacy is all about love. I love Lauren and I know you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment