Friday, March 4, 2016

You Know You Are A Teacher Turned Stay at Home Mom When...

It's funny because when I'm out and about and I meet other stay at home moms at storytime or the playground I can always pick out the ones who used to be teachers. We say a lot of the same things. I had a sneaking suspicion another mom was a past teacher when I heard her say to her son, "Tell me about your picture," when he drew on the white board at storytime. I learned early on to ask students to tell me about their picture rather than ask them what they drew because they'd get their feelings hurt that I couldn't tell what it was. I find myself saying so many things and doing so many things that I used to say and do in the classroom. I thought it would be funny to do a little post about all those things. So, you know you are a teacher turned stay at home mom when...

You write lesson plans in your head as you read a really good book from the library.

When something happens to your child that they didn't want to have happen, like their tower falls over as they are building, and they say, "Bummer!" Gotta appreciate Love and Logic!

Your kid is the only one running around on the playground referring to all the other children as "friend". When they meet someone new they immediately say, "Hi, friend!"

You constantly have to fight the urge to organize all the toys into bins and add labels with the name of what is in it along with pictures.

You find yourself struggling at a storytime with a librarian with poor behavior management skills. You just want to step in and show her how to handle problems effectively.

Most the time you enjoy talking to kids on the playground more than their parents. I find that I really enjoy talking to kids who are around the age my students normally were, I definitely miss hearing all the silly things they would say!

When you open a new box of crayons, you sneak a sniff before using them.

You find yourself wishing you could laminate things on the daily. I can't tell you how many times I have made something for Carter and wished I could laminate it for durability!

Your child says things like, "I solved my problem!" or "I tried and I tried and I tried and I never gave up!" or "Good thinking!" or "I'm being helpful!" or "Let's work as a team!" All those sayings coming out of Carter's mouth does my teacher heart good!

I'm sure plenty of non-teacher moms can relate to some of those things and do a lot of the same stuff I do. I just keep thinking it's funny when I meet another teacher mom who does and says a lot of the same things I do!

1 comment: