Monday, March 21, 2016

Elise's 1st Birthday Letters From Mommy and Daddy

Mommy:
We joked you had resting surprised face for the first few months.
 

My perfect, little precious Elise, I love you so much. This morning when you had just woken up and I was holding you against my chest I was overcome with love for you. At times I can't wrap my head around how lucky I am to be your mom. You are so sweet and cuddly and loving and wonderful. You are also hilarious and make the funniest squawks and squeals for us. This first year has been such an adventure and a blessing. I can't believe you are officially a toddler and no longer a baby. It makes me sad and proud at the same time. I'm sad you aren't a baby anymore, but I'm so proud of how well you are walking and navigating this world with eyes so open to exploring and discovering.

When I look back over this past year there are so many special moments that jump out at me. Things I want to remember forever. Last night as I was getting ready for bed I remembered getting ready for bed the night before you were born. I was a bit hopeful you would arrive that weekend but a bit in disbelief you would be arriving anytime soon. Then in the middle of the night I woke up with contractions and a few hours later you were laying on my chest. That first time holding you skin to skin, breathing in your baby smell and letting you melt into me, that is one of my favorite moments. We laid like that for over an hour before I decided maybe you were hungry and you nursed for a little bit. It was the most amazing way to spend the first moments of your life. It took you a while to adjust to the Pack N Play so daddy and I let you sleep in bed with us. I loved those cuddles when you would snuggle right up into my side to sleep. I still feel your sweet little baby body when I imagine it and I cherish those moments now although they terrified me at the time because I felt you would be safer sleeping in your own bed. During Carter's naptime I always made it a priority to sit down on the couch with you laid across my chest. You would sleep on my chest all snuggled in and I absolutely loved it. As you got older you started to notice your brother more and he was the one who always got the best smiles and giggles out of you. Anytime you see him you squeal and smile with love for him and it melts my heart. When I carry you around you reach over and grab a hold of my shirt and cling so tightly. I love feeling your sweet little hand holding onto me. Something you've recently started doing is crawling over to me, climbing into my lap, and resting your head on me. Anytime you do that I lose all motivation to ever move again. I could sit with you forever. All of the most memorable moments for me have been the snuggles and the smiles. You are such a smiley girl and I can't get enough of your sweet gummy grin. I also love to kiss your chubby little cheeks. I love you so much Elise and I look forward to all the fun I know these coming years will bring! Happy first birthday my precious pot pie!  
 
 
Daddy:
 
 

Dear Elise,

This year has gone by so fast, it seems like forever ago your mother and I were holding you just minutes after you were born. Watching you grow and change has been amazing, especially with how quickly you pick up new tasks and just go with it.

I feel like it will be just a matter of weeks and we will be watching you learn to walk. Next it will be talking and reading and before long you will be running and bouncing and keeping up with your brother! I love that everyone can see the love you have in your eyes for him and he you. It warms my heart seeing my two children play and laugh together. You laugh the best for him, although today for your birthday we went to your favorite playground and I got some great laughs out of you!

I can’t wait for you to get old enough to interact with our animals because you are already so sweet and tender. Skippy already surprisingly tolerates you pretty well, something he still does not do for Carter haha!

You do a very good job of making sure you are equal parts momma’s girl and daddy’s girl, and you always know how to get what you want! You flash the shy little smile and you have everyone’s attention. I will admit, it is fun dressing you every day and trying to get an outfit that “matches”. If you are wearing clothes, I consider that a win, but sometimes your mother can’t help but laugh at some of my choices! But don’t worry, you look cute as ever in anything you wear.

As for your hair, I feel like I have a good grasp on it now when it is only a couple of inches long, but I feel there will be a steep learning curve coming up as it grows!

I can’t wait to watch you grow into the wonderful person I know you will be, and your smile when I get home from work after not seeing me all day lights up my world.

Love you sweet girl!
-Daddy
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment