Friday, March 25, 2016

St. Patrick's Day 2016

We started our morning with some green eggs. I made egg yolks with a little bit of whites for Elise and put the rest of the whites over into Carter's eggs so he got some extra. While the kids ate their breakfast I read them Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss which Carter requested to be read again. In total we read it 3 times during breakfast. He loved it all so much that he ended up asking for green eggs to go with his lunch too! I dressed the kids in their green St. Patrick's Day shirts, saving their white ones for after lunchtime to keep them from getting dirty. I wanted to get a picture of them together with their shirts on but neither of them were interested and I ended up with a picture where they both look like they're saying, "Meh."
 
 
My little pot of gold trying to clip his nails.
 
 
Then we were off to a toddler art class we went to once in February with less than stellar results but Carter said he wanted to go again so I figured we'd give it a try. The project was a handprint rainbow painting, you all know how I feel about handprint and footprint crafts, with a pot of gold at the bottom. Carter loved that he got to have an easel to put his canvas on and was also very excited to wear a painting apron. He started painting the blue sky background right away and did such a wonderful job! I helped him paint is hands and place them on the canvas and then he wanted to do it himself so I let him take over. The gold inside the pot was made with his fingerprints which was so adorable. In between painting instead of leaving his canvas in front of a fan to dry, this teacher had hair driers for the kids to dry their paintings which was genius. Not only did it go faster, but Carter loved getting to use the drier. The experience this time was a huge success and Carter even posed with the rest of the kids to take a picture with his painting! Something else this teacher did that helped was she had us pay at the beginning of the class, so when Carter was done we just headed out. The time before she had us pay at the end and we were waiting around for other kids to finish up so we could pay and leave which caused Carter to lose his patience and his behavior deteriorated! The difference between the two class sessions was night and day!

He was so excited about his easel and painting apron!
Painting the sky background.
Doing the handprint by himself.

Adding gold into his pot.

Drying his painting was one of his favorite parts.
 
 
 
We left art class and rushed home to get Elise down for a nap. She fell asleep in the car and wouldn't go back down for a nap when we got home so we just ate an early lunch and then I put her down for a long afternoon nap. For lunch we had leftover chicken with sides of peas and kiwi to get our green in! Then Carter also had some green eggs. While I was putting Elise down for her nap Carter "got hungry and decided he wanted more green eggs". I came out of her room to find the egg carton pulled out of the fridge and onto the floor with 6 eggs smashed on the floor and the rug. It was pretty annoying and I sent Carter to his room while I cleaned the mess. I was pretty much fuming over the whole ordeal and then I heard him crying at his door saying, "Mommy, I want to say I'm sorry. I just want to say I'm sorry." It really was the sweetest thing and I was so appreciative that he felt bad for what he had done. He may be a tad ornery, but he has a huge heart!
I changed Elise back into her jammies so she wouldn't get her clothes dirty at lunch.
Carter excited about his eggs while he waited on me to cook them.
After lunch Carter and I made green cupcakes from a mix my mom got on sale after Christmas and gave to us. Then when Elise woke up we headed out for a run. I ran out a little farther than I needed to so we could walk back and Carter had so much fun chasing butterflies, searching for bugs and flowers, and playing in the grass. As we walked we listened to a St. Patrick's Day station on Pandora which played Irish music.When we got back to the playground we played for a while. That evening Jeremy and my parents came over for tacos (59 cent tacos at Taco Bueno on Thursdays!) and for a movie night. A family friend gave the kids an Easter basket and Carter had been dying to watch the Peanuts movie she had put in it. So he cozied up on the couch with Oma, Opa, and Uncie J to watch the movie while Ty and I worked on some stuff for Elise's birthday party. It was a fun day! Now we are past all of Elise's first holidays. It's hard to believe she is a year old and has experienced every holiday now!
Mixing the cupcakes.
 
Elise in her shirt Oma made her, Carter refused to change his shirt.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love his painting! And the second photo where someone probably said "hold up your paintings" and he covers his face with his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out so cute. He was being super silly in the group shot. He saw one of the other kids hole it in front of her face so he did it too. I told him to hold it in front of his belly but he thought it was much funnier to cover his face!

      Delete