Sunday, January 2, 2022

My Year in Books

Last year I read a ton being in quarantine and spending so much time at home. This year was way less with more going on and being back to work full time, so I was surprised to see I still read more pages and more books than in 2019 or 2018. As always, reading really enriched my life and brought me a lot of joy this year. I look forward to reading more wonderful books in the coming year! Read past recaps here: 2020, 2019, and 2018.
 
This year I read 47,845 pages across 157 books.
Last year I read 56,782 pages across 186 books.
In 2019 I read 41,911 pages across 132 books.
In 2018 I read 38,074 pages across 128 books.


My shortest book was The Truth Pixie by Matt Haig at 119 pages.
My longest book was A Promised Land by Barack Obama at 768 pages.
The average length of book I read was 305 pages. (Same as last year which I thought was random!)

The most popular book I read was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins with 8,913,987 other people reading it. I know, I was super late to the game on this one, but I loved it!
The least popular book I read was The Guthrie Short Stories by Andrea C. Neil with 8 other people reading it.


My favorite fiction book I read this year was My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman.
My favorite nonfiction book I read this year was World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments by Aimee Nezhumatathil

My favorite fiction book I listened to as an audiobook was The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson.
My favorite nonfiction book I listened to as an audiobook was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. 

Honorable Mention (how I read them in parentheses):

  • The Passenger by Lisa Lutz (ebook)
  • Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility by Hillary Manton Lodge
  • Facing the Mountain: A True Story of Japanese American Heroes in World War II by Daniel James Brown (book)
  • The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (mixture of book and ebook)
  • Ellie and the Harpmaker by Hazel Prior (audiobook)
  • All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin (ebook)
  • One by One by Ruth Ware (book)
  • The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick (audiobook)
  • Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty (book)
  • Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (audiobook)
  • How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (audiobook)
  • Mother May I by Joshilyn Jackson (book)
  • Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris (book)
  • The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham (audiobook)
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids by Sarah Mackenzie (book)
  • Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (book)


My favorite children's chapter books:
  • Christmas Series by Matt Haig (My least favorite was A Boy Called Christmas, but they were all really good!)
  • A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
  • Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga
  • Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart


No comments:

Post a Comment