Friday, January 10, 2020

My Year in Books

Last year I used information from my Goodreads account to do a post about the books I read in 2018. Read that post here. It was fun to see my stats from 2019 as well. In 2018 my goal was to read 100 books and I hit that well before January so for 2019 I decided to shoot for 115 books. This year I read 132 books but I think I'll stick with a goal of 115 books. Really the number of books can vary depending on the length of the book. In December I read a bunch of books but that was because I read a bunch of short, easy reads with Christmas books. Then other months I only made it through one audiobook because it was over 20 hours long. So it all just depends. You'll notice I only read 4 more books than last year but read almost 4,000 more pages. Which pretty much makes my point for me! My reading is for me to enjoy and have fun, not to worry about hitting a certain number of books for the year, so I'm not going to increase my goal. 
This year I read 41, 911 pages across 132 books.
Last year I read 38,074 pages across 128 books.
I love the book cover collage that Goodreads makes out of the books you've read. I've included screen shots of the prettiest covers.
My shortest book was And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou at 54 pages.
My longest book was 11/22/63 by Stephen King at 849 pages.

The average length of book I read was 317 pages.
The most popular book I read was Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury with 1,681,046 other people reading it.
The least popular book I read was Elmer McCurdy: The Misadventures in Life and Afterlife of an American Outlaw by Mark Svenvold with 133 other people reading it.


My favorite fiction books I read this year: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens and Beartown by Fredrik Backman
My favorite nonfiction book I read this year: Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning by Kelly Corrigan

My favorite fiction audiobook I listened to this year: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn 
My favorite nonfiction audiobook I listened to this year: Calypso by David Sedaris


Overall Favorite for the Year: I can't really decide which one was my favorite and there are a few others I'd like to include, so this year I'm doing an honorable mention. I guess for favorite I'd have to go with Beartown by Fredrik Backman.


Honorable Mention (how I read it in parenthesis):
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (fiction ebook)
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (fiction audiobook)
Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand (fiction)
The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman (nonfiction audiobook)
The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey (fiction audiobook)
The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson (fiction ebook) 
The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell (nonfiction audiobook)
I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron (nonfiction audiobook)
Us Against Them by Fredrik Backman (fiction)



6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'll have to remember this when I'm looking for one to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you read a Lisa Scottoline. I like her non-fiction essays, but don't care for her fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to read After Anna! Some of her fiction I haven't loved (I also don't love the essays but they are quick light reads so I still read them sometimes), but After Anna was really good.

      Delete
    2. Sara recommended "After Anna" and I liked it so much I asked her about other Scottoline books to read and she said that was the best one, so I haven't read any others. I think you'd like that one, mom.

      Delete
  3. Adding your tops picks that I haven't read to my reading list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them! If you haven't read "Where the Crawdads Sing" it was one I just couldn't put down. It was so good!

      Delete