Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tesla's First Camping Trip

The company Ty works for has asked employees to take their days off before the end of June to help with the company's financial situation. At first I was a little bummed because it's not like we can use those days to go on a trip or visit family, but then I realized we could still go camping! We decided with the perfect weather we've had for camping, warm days and cool nights, this is the perfect time to get some camping in and visit some state parks we haven't been to yet. We can be in nature, distance ourselves from others, and spend time as a family. Tesla has never been camping with us so we decided we should start off with a one night camping trip to make sure she wasn't going to whine all night and keep us awake or anything like that. We planned a weekend to go and then we ended up with two birthday parades to participate in on the same day. We figured, no problem, we'd just go to an area really close by after the parades. We decided on Keystone State Park since it's super close and we have been there quite a few times. That way we wouldn't mind not having much time there because we've already done a lot there.

Saturday morning the kids woke up so excited that it was finally the day we would go camping! They found backpacks and each packed a backpack full of things to bring. Carter made sure he had Big Al and some books. Elise packed Paw Patrol stuffed animals, markers, and some toys. They both packed snacks and Carter even packed a spoon to go along with his fruit cup. We had a birthday parade at 11am and another one at 3pm. After driving through the parade at 3:00 we headed straight for Keystone. We had time to set up camp, do a little fishing, and then start a fire for dinner. The kids wanted to try fishing at the big lake instead of the kid's fishing pond where they've fished a few times in the past so Ty fished too. I held Tesla's leash and took my book with me so I could read a bit while they all fished. Carter fished for a bit and then he and Elise both started playing in the sand and the water. Carter slipped on a rock and hurt his bottom and then a little while later Elise slipped on the same rock and hurt her leg. They were ready to head back to camp so off we went. We planned easy meals for this trip since it was one night and we don't have camping cookware yet, though my parents got me some for Mother's Day which should arrive in early May! We did hot dogs and s'mores for dinner and the kids were super pleased with that. They both ate 2 hot dogs! After dinner Carter wanted to play freeze tag so we played that for a bit and then moved on to hide and seek. While playing freeze tag, Ty juked so quickly behind a tree that I accidentally slapped the tree instead of tagging him which was quite funny.
The kids playing while Ty got the fishing poles ready.
Down at the lake.

Ty still fishing while the kids played.
Starting the fire for dinner.



Carter made sure to pack his chapter book he's been read a chapter of each night to Oma and Opa so he could read to them. It was so cute that he thought of that! He also packed the next 4 books in the series just in case. He read his chapter, then we played for a bit more, and they were off to bed around 9:00. Ty wanted to stay up a bit longer and I told him we shouldn't stay up too late because the kids would probably wake up at 6am even though they went to bed late. We went to bed around 10:00 and both the kids were still awake. Tesla went to bed with the kids and was quiet and wonderful all night. When we came into the tent she moved to laying on my sleeping bag and wouldn't budge, the little stinker. Once we were all settled she snuggled up right against Carter for the night. When I was in my sleeping bag Elise kept telling me I could turn and face her to sleep because I was in between her and Ty, but facing Ty. Carter told her, "Mommy's just used to facing daddy when she sleeps, so let her face daddy." Then Elise snuggled over close to me and I could feel her reaching out to touch me, it was so cute. I feel like I fell asleep pretty quickly. A few cars drove by on the road that ran next to our camp site which woke me up so I woke up quite a few times earlier in the night, but once I was hard asleep I slept really well. It definitely helped to have a pillow this go around!
Carter reading to Oma and Opa before bed.
As I predicted the kids were up for the day at 6:15. It would have been nice to go back to sleep but once they were making noise with the birds chirping, there was no hope. We were the first ones in our camping area awake so we kept the kids quiet. When we planned our trip I asked the kids what foods they'd like to have and Carter requested bagels for breakfast because at their boy scout campouts they roast bagels over the campfire and put cream cheese on them for breakfast. So that was our breakfast. Once we'd eaten and gotten ready for the day we headed out to go fishing. I packed up our bags and put them in the car when we left just in case. Ty had the idea to go fish by the dam because we've never done that before. When we got there we saw there was a hiking trail so we went on a short hike first. Once we were set up fishing I asked Ty if he'd mind me heading off to do a trail run while they fished. I tied Tesla out on a bush next to the kids and Elise played with her the whole time instead of fishing. She also took her backpack full of toys so she played with them and colored. Since my bag was in the car I was able to change into my running clothes and go for it. The trail was way more technical than I expected based on the first section of trail we walked, but it was fun. There were a few downhills that were so steep I had to walk down them to be safe. It was a lot of fun!
Hiking at the Twin Rivers Trail.
Elise on our hiking trail.
Found their fishing spot by the dam!
Elise carried the hiking backpack on the way back to the car.
Carter carried Elise's backpack full of toys back for her.
When I was done running they were ready to head back to the campsite for lunch. Elise wanted a hot dog again so that's what she had. Ty made a sandwich melt while Carter and I had English Muffin Pizzas in aluminum foil, a favorite from my girl scout camping days! For dessert we had another girl scout favorite, foil sundaes. You put a piece of angel food cake on aluminum foil, add a pat of butter, some brown sugar, and pie filling, then you heat it on the coals. Thanks to my mom, I have my favorite girl scout camping recipes so we can make others on some of our next trips! The kids picked blueberry pie filling and it was so delicious! While the kids and I made our sundaes, Ty broke camp so when we were done eating all we had to do was load the car which was pretty amazing! The kids wanted to go play at the water for a little bit but that was short lived because they were tired and it was hot. Elise fell asleep on the way home, but unfortunately, it was a short drive home. The kids have been talking about our camping trip nonstop and can't wait to go again. Ty and I talked about where to go next and then booked our campsites this morning. We'll be hitting up a state park we haven't been to very soon and we are so excited! I had to put a sticky note on our calendar for Elise so she can count the days rather than ask me over and over if tomorrow we are going camping!
Now that's an outfit- no shirt, jean shorts, and cowboy boots!
Elise making her foil sundae.
Showing off our foil sundaes.
Yummy foil sundaes!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I love camping and it seems like I sleep better in a tent with fresh air. And English muffin pizzas and foil sundaes are two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete