Friday, January 27, 2017

I Love...

Carter's sweet nature and love for his sister. He will randomly walk up behind Elise, wrap his arms around her, and kiss her on the back of her head. The other day in the bath he took a comb and started combing Elise's hair. When he was done he said, "There you go, looking pretty!" while smiling at her. It was enough to bring tears to my eyes.
Carter was so worried about the scab on Elise's knee.

How hard Ty has worked to incorporate healthy eating habits into his daily life. When we first met, lunch for him meant a sandwich stacked high with meat and extra slices of cheese and a plate piled high with potato chips. After Carter was born he made a huge effort to start eating healthier so he could be a good example for Carter. Yesterday Carter wanted to make his own lunch and said he wanted to make a lunch like daddy. He got carrots out and wanted a knife to chop them up like he sees Ty do. It really made me stop and think and appreciate all the little changes Ty has made to be healthier. He's done a great job of making little changes that he can sustain over time rather than trying to make a bunch of changes all at once and relapsing into old behavior. I am so proud of him and love what a great role model he is for Carter to look up to for so many reasons.

Our pediatrician and how convenient he makes things. If we have a question we can get on a website and type it up and he responds really quickly, usually within 20 minutes. If we are really worried about something after hours we can text him and he will respond. A few years ago Carter and I found a black widow in the backyard and I've been paranoid about it ever since. Elise's toe swelled up one evening and I panicked, worrying that she would die in her sleep from black widow poison. I texted our doctor a picture and he responded within 10 minutes that it didn't look like a black widow bite so I was able to put Elise to bed and actually sleep myself. If we text him and he thinks we need to come in the next day, he'll send a link so we can get online and schedule an appointment right then without having to call in the next day. It has definitely saved us some trips to the Urgent Care, that's for sure!

Libraries. I have really been enjoying the opportunity to put books on hold for myself and am able to read a wide variety of books that I wouldn't have access to otherwise. We constantly have a backpack full of children's books on all kinds of topics and I have learned new information while reading nonfiction books with the kids. Not to mention all the wonderful storytimes and events that are offered through our library. Most the libraries in our area have lots of toys for kids in the children's section which makes it a great place to go on a rainy, cold, or hot day when we don't want to be outside but want to get out of the house. Living within a quarter mile of a library has been so wonderful for us. We walk to the library at least once a week. Our downtown library opened in October after renovations and is beyond amazing. We don't mind driving 10 minutes to get to a library with more toys. The new library has all the books and videos displayed so you are looking at the cover of the book instead of the spine. It's really awesome but it also means that Carter and Elise pick out way more books when we are there!
Elise reading to her friend at the library.
Carter's ability to do so much for himself now. His favorite thing for lunch is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because he can make them all by himself. He is always so proud to spread the peanut butter and jelly on his own. My Aunt Sue gave us homemade jelly for Christmas and one she labeled "wild grape". Carter refers to it as "crazy grape" which makes me giggle every time!

Being a stay-at-home mom. Both kids were sick at some point this week and it made me stop and reflect and appreciate how lucky I am to not be working anymore. I am so glad when they are sick I can focus on their care and what they need to feel better rather than running around trying to secure a sub and make or print off last minute lesson plans as I'm holding a puking child. It was so nice when Carter woke up throwing up to be able to make him a bed on the living room floor and just lay with him when I asked him if he needed anything and he said, "Just lay with me, please." There are so many little moments every week where I am so thankful I get to spend my days with my babies. Sometimes when I'm out running with Elise in the stroller while Carter's at school I can't help but think how lucky I am to be running in the middle of the morning while the sun is shining with a happy girl singing along in the stroller rather than in the pitch dark, cold morning like I do on other days and I would have to do every morning if I was working. There are so many wonderful things about my life and I am always grateful spending my days with my babies is one of those things!

Valentine's Day. I wrote a whole post about my love for Valentine's Day here. Every year when Ty puts our Christmas decorations away in the attic, I have him get the Valentine's Day decorations down. He makes fun of me a little bit for putting them up so early but I just love them. There's something about hearts, whenever I see them I feel warm inside. My parents always made Valentine's Day such a fun holiday and I always loved wearing hearts, especially my special heart dress reserved for Valentine's Day. I'm already looking forward to our Valentine's Day learning theme and our Valentine's Day themed playdate we are hosting!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyable post. The renovated library does look awesome. Ty has made some great changes, and I know it's not easy. Carter is a little love bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty is amazing. We'll have to take you to that library sometime, it's impressive!

      Delete