Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Sweet, Social Carter

Carter has always been a pretty social little guy. He loves to meet new people and gets so excited to see other kids his age. When he turned 3 his vocabulary really took off and so did his interest in having conversations with adults. When we are out and about he strikes up conversations with people in line by us, people at other tables in restaurants, pretty much anyone close enough to hear him. I love the things he picks up from me and Ty and says to other people when striking up a conversation. Much of what he says is learned behavior for what's appropriate to say to other people, but the outgoing personality is all his own. I'm not exactly outgoing but I'm not shy either. I tend to have the thought when I'm out in public that most people want to be left alone. I'll start up conversations with other parents at the playground or restaurant, but while waiting in line I typically keep to myself. Being with Carter and having him start up conversations all the time, forces me to be more outgoing too. What surprises me about it is how many other people seem almost desperate for that moment to talk to someone else. It's made me realize maybe people aren't always just wanting to be left alone. Or maybe they just enjoy talking to an adorable boy like Carter, because who wouldn't?

I want to share my favorite Carter conversation story. We were at Tropical Smoothie on a Tuesday afternoon for lunch because they have a deal where you can get a smoothie and a flatbread sandwich for $6. I get my own and the kids split one so we can eat for just over $13 and do it every now and then as a treat. It was pretty busy because of the deal so we took the only table left back in a back corner. Carter noticed a woman sitting by herself waiting on her to-go order at a table near us and struck up a conversation with her. He asked her name and shared his name along with Elise's and mine. At some point he started talking with the man also sitting by himself waiting on a to-go order at the table next to ours. He did the same, asking the man's name and sharing each of our names. After chatting with both people for quite a while Carter turned to the man and said, "Well, Steven, how has your day been?" Steven replied, "Much better now that I met you." Carter then turned and asked the same question of the woman and got a similar response. It warmed my heart to hear him not only remembering someone else's name, but thinking to ask him how his day had been. I love my sweet little guy and the sunshine he brings to the world on a daily basis!

2 comments: