Monday, October 4, 2021

What I Read: September.

September was a bit of a stressful month but I made it through. Just as things were starting to ease up and I was hitting my stride at work, I got a new student. I'm now at 26 students. I'm hoping I stay there, but only time will tell... This year has been a challenging year already. So needless to say, I haven't made it through very many books this month.

Books:

  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park- This is a children's chapter book and it was phenomenal. It brought the story of the Lost Boys to life and I loved how the stories of the two characters wove together. I was talking to Ty about the book and Carter overheard and was super intrigued. I'm excited to read this book with him soon.
  • The Blue Wonder: Why the Sea Glows, Fish Sing, and Other Astonishing Insights from the Ocean by Frauke Bagusche- This book was really interesting. I learned so much. Although learning about how overfished the ocean is and the impact of it, makes me never want to eat seafood again. Not that I eat much seafood anyway. 
  • Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center- I loved every one of her books I've read and this was no exception. I didn't like it quite as much as her other books, but it was still really good. I love that things always work out in her books. It was just what I needed at the time I read it.

eBooks:

  • The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory- I saw this book had a Reese's Book Club sticker on the cover and I've loved all the books I read and later saw were on her book list so I went for it. It started out so good. I loved the first chapter.  Then it really fizzled. The characters' dialogue was stilted and awkward to me. It started reminding me of Royal Holiday which had a lot of hype and I didn't really like. That's when I realized it was the same author. I just don't like her writing. I love that she uses diverse characters, but I don't like her writing. This one took me forever to finish. I had to re-check it out which almost never happens to me with ebooks. So it took me like a month to finish it.

Audiobooks:

  • The School I Deserve: Six Young Refugees and Their Fight for Equality in America by Jo Napolitano- I saw this on the library's new release shelf and was intrigued. I think it caught my eye in part because my school district has a large population of refugees from Myanmar (Burma). It broke my heart all over again with what these people endure before emigrating and then the abuse and discrimination they face when they arrive in our country. 
  • The Lies That Bind by Emily Giffin- I put this on my to-read list and didn't remember what it was about. I started it and quickly remembered it was centered around September 11, 2001. It was crazy that I ended up finishing it on September 11th and I didn't even plan that!
  • The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth- I liked The Mother-In-Law so I thought I'd try this one out. It was really good. I liked it even more than her other book I read. It's so interesting when the author shows you stories from different perspectives and you have to figure out who is closer to the truth.
  • The Removed by Brandon Hobson- The blurb about this book started with "Steeped in Cherokee myths and history..." That's all I needed to read. The sections about Cherokee myths were my favorite part of the story. Plus it took place in the area around Tulsa and when they drove "to town," they went to Tulsa.

4 comments: