Monday, November 9, 2020

Virtual Tulsa Run

The Tulsa Run was set to be on Halloween this year. When they announced the medal design, I was so excited about the race. I normally don't really care about medals but this one was so darn cool with the Halloween theme. I hadn't signed up yet when they had to switch to a virtual event, but I decided to go ahead and sign up anyway. Ty and I first ran the 15k in 2016 and we've done it every year since. Each year I've earned a 60/70 mug for running under 70 minutes in the 15k as a woman. It's a bit of a tradition and my goal is to earn a 70 mug for as long as I can. I decided since they weren't doing the mug this year due to no official results, I'd design my own mug on Etsy. I would have loved one with the awesome medal design, but I wasn't sure how to do that cheaply and dishwasher safe so I went with something pretty already designed on Etsy where I just added the words I wanted. Read about past races here: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019

All my race bling!

I didn't have much time to train for the Tulsa Run after taking some weeks easy after the Virtual Boston Marathon, but I felt confident I'd be able to get into 7:30 pace shape fairly easily since that's what I'd have to run to be under 70. I did a 6 mile tempo the week before the race in 7:17 pace even though it didn't go well and I felt a little rough. I was pretty sure I'd be able to run under 7:30 pace for 3 more miles but in the back of my head, I kept thinking back to my half-marathon I ran on July 4th that started out so well and then spiraled out of control for seemingly no reason. That made me a little nervous going into the race. I decided to go ahead and wear my bib because it was so cute! I'm glad I did because I saw other people run by wearing their bibs so we knew we were running the same race. I also passed one woman out running who cheered for me and the huge boost I got after that reminded me why races are so much more fun that virtual races! 

I decided to just run an out and back course on Riverside so I wouldn't have to worry about remembering where to turn or have to deal with traffic. I ran a mile warm up and then attempted to get my RaceJoy app to work so I could track my run and be included in the results. I couldn't get the app to work so I ended up putting my phone back in the car and just running without it. I planned to go out around 7:30 pace and then negative split the race. My first mile was 7:15 which was faster than planned but I felt great so I went with it. The 2nd mile took me up on a ridge by the water and the wind was fierce up there. I was glad I was running into the wind on the way out when I hit that section. My 2nd mile was 7:24 and I was just glad to still be under 7:30 with all the wind. My 3rd mile was 7:15 and I checked at the 5k to see where I was. I went through the first 5k in 22:47. My plan was to follow the same time goals as I did in 2017 when I was just shooting for sub-70. Hit the 5k mark in 23:00, the 10k mark in 46:00, and the 15k mark in 69:00. So I told myself in my head as a little mantra, "23, 46, 69," over and over. After the 5k mark I entertained myself by calculating what my time would be if I ran all my 5ks in 22:47. I ran out to 4.7 miles and then turned around. Mile 4 was 7:30 and I was really ready to turn around so the wind would be at my back! When I turned around I was confident I could make my next 5k faster than my first.

I went through miles 5 and 6 in 7:19 and 7:07. I checked my time at the 10k mark and I was at 45:30 so I went through the 2nd 5k in 22:43, just a smidge faster than my first 5k. I was excited as I calculated my likely finishing time between 1:08:15-1:08:30. I knew I could make my last 5k the fastest and maybe sneak under 1:08 even! My slowest Tulsa Run time was 1:07:39 in 2017, so it would be cool to be under 1:08, that way all my times would be between 1:05 and 1:07. Miles 7 and 8 were both 7:11 and I told myself to make mile 9 my fastest which meant running 7:07 or under. My legs were pretty tired and it was hard to push all by myself but I was able to hit mile 9 in 7:07. I was able to really pick it up once I hit 9 miles and when I looked down at 9.3 miles I was at 1:07:34. Since I was significantly under 1:08 and I normally don't hit right at 9.3 miles during the race, I decided to go ahead and run some extra. I was feeling good and not really paying attention so I ended up not stopping my watch until 9.36 for a finishing time of 1:07:54 and a finishing kick of 7:01 pace. I averaged 7:15 pace for the race and my last 5k was 22:09, much faster than my first two 5ks which was awesome!

I enjoy the more relaxed attitude I have training for a virtual race where if we are traveling or things don't work out, I'm okay with moving things around or even just skipping a tempo. Having virtual races to run helps keep me focused and motivated. But I sure do miss running actual races. Having people to run with and others around to cheer you on really makes a difference. Running this race made me realize how lucky I was my parents came out to support me in the Virtual Boston Marathon and dad and Ty rode portions of the race with me because it felt more like a race and I enjoyed having people on the course cheering for me. This Virtual Tulsa Run was really more of a tempo run that hurt more than usual other than seeing other people out running with their race bibs on!

4 comments:

  1. It is neat they had the Halloween theme! Are any races happening in your area? They have had a lot of small ones around Springfield (and also Bass Pro, which they capped at 2000 total for all events).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few really small races, mostly trail runs. There was one half-marathon that was postponed from the spring that happened but they capped it at around 200 which I think was about how many people had pre-registered for the spring race. Any event with 500 or more people has to have an approved health plan. Not sure how many have attempted the paperwork or just scrapped the race.

      Delete