Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Snake Run 3 Hour Race

The Snake Run is a trail race with 3 hour and 6 hour options. You run for your chosen amount of time and try to run as many laps as possible. It is called the Snake Run because it used to be run at Turkey Mountain on the Snake Trail which was aptly named due to the likelihood of seeing a snake on the trail. When they started doing construction on the trails at Turkey Mountain, the Snake Trail was one of the trails effected and they moved the race to Lubell Park Trails. I've wanted to run the race for years but it has never worked into my training schedule. There have been years it was the day after the St. Patrick's Day 5k and I always chose the 5k over it because my whole family was running it. This year I created my training plan for Boston with The Snake Run penciled in and an estimated 18 miles for the day. I got free entry with my race team so I figured even if I used it as an easy trail long run, it would be worth it. I was struggling with fatigue a week out from the race and finally started feeling better a few days beforehand. I decided to go all in for the race and attempt to run 20 miles or 10 laps. The course is a 2 mile loop on the trails at Lubell. I hadn't run there as much recently due to Mooser and Bales being closer to my house (by half a mile) and longer trails (they're both around 3 miles long) so I wasn't too worried about getting bored on the trails. In years past I was worried I would get bored because I ran Lubell so often. Usually when I run more than one loop there, I turn around and run the loop backwards the 2nd time or switch up directions after each lap so I did think running the loop in the same direction the whole race might cause some irritation in my hips and I was correct about that!

I really wanted to get 10 laps in for 20 miles on the day, but I wasn't sure. That would mean running 9 minute pace or a little under per mile. I usually run Lubell as an easy recovery run and average anywhere from 9:30-10:30 pace. Obviously that's running easy and not at race pace, but it's also only 4-5 miles rather than 18-20. Would I be able to run 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes faster while going over 4 times the distance? For some reason, I kept thinking yes! I looked back at past results and the longest female winning distance was 10 laps. Last year 2 women ran 10 laps and one of them is someone who I know is considerably faster than me in the marathon. I still felt like it was doable and thought maybe I run trails more than her so trails would be a bit of an equalizer. My goal was to go out at 9 minute pace and see if/how long I could hang. At worst, I'd end up with an 18 mile long run, at best I'd be at 20 miles for the day!

I chatted with a friend who ran the race last year because I was worried about parking. There is a decent sized parking lot there, but I wasn't sure it would be big enough for a race this size and thought it might be in my best interest to get dropped off at the race or run there as a warm-up (it's only 1.5 miles from my house). She said it wouldn't be an issue, spoiler alert: she was wrong! The race started at 9am, but it was Daylight Savings so it was really like 8am. I set my alarm for 8am. I planned to eat oatmeal but then realized I had an extra jar of overnight oats I made for my lunch on Monday, but didn't end up eating because I was home with Carter who was sick. I ate that instead of regular oatmeal which was good because it was more calories, but it was also more food and took me longer to eat than I planned. I then did yoga and Thomas walked by while I was doing it and said, "Doesn't your race start in 15 minutes?" It did and I wasn't even dressed yet. The weather app said it was 37 degrees but it would be 57 degrees by noon when I would finish. I decided to wear spandex shorts so I could carry water bottles in my pockets. Then I decided to wear my arm warmers I had gotten earlier in the winter and never worn before. It's funny because I wanted to wear my new Snake Run socks for the race but decided it was a bad idea to wear new socks for the first time in a race that was so long, but I went for the arm warmers even though I had never worn them before. I filled my bottles, put my bib on, grabbed the Gus I laid out, and was off after kissing everyone goodbye. 

I pulled onto the street where the trails are and already saw cars lining the road. The parking lot was full and I made it to the dead end without finding anywhere to park on the street. At that point I panicked and just parked directly behind someone's driveway. I walked super fast to the start line and made it as they said one minute to the race start. I set one of my water bottles on the aid station by the start line and put the other in my pocket. I saw April and told her she was wrong about parking, she took my key and said she would move my van for me after the race started. Then we were off. I ran a little faster from the start to the trail to get in position before I made it to the trail which was narrower. There were quite a few men ahead of me, but no women. When I saw my first mile split pop up as 8:35 I had mixed feelings. I was excited that sub-9:00 pace had felt so easy, but I was worried I ran it too fast. Since my goal was to run 10 laps, my plan was to run 18 minutes per lap. I ran the 2nd mile in 8:44 and came through the first lap in 17:22. 

During my 2nd loop I went to pass the guy ahead of me and he kept cutting me off. I was a little annoyed and wondered if he would still be with me at the end of the race, he wasn't, I ended up lapping him toward the end of the race. Then he sped up and when we hit the walkers, he was yelling out that we were on their left so they moved over for us, without me having to say anything. So I didn't mind him being right in front of me as much. I didn't think about the fact that it was a 2 mile loop repeating over and over and some people walk the whole race, so I would be lapping people the whole race. We were already lapping walkers toward the end of our 2nd loop. I didn't mind too much because it gave it more of a party feel and I got to see people even later in the race when I was running alone. Some of the people who I lapped multiple times got really excited to see me again and would cheer for me. I only had a couple people who didn't move over when I called out that I was there. I enjoyed doing the math during each lap to determine what I needed to finish the lap in. I also liked that I was focusing on finishing laps, not miles. That made things go by so much faster! I felt like the laps were just flying by. I noticed my 3rd mile was 9:08 and I worried a little bit that I was over 9:00 pace, but my 4th mile was 8:39 so I knew it evened things out. It did with a 17:27 for my 2nd lap. I was super excited that I hadn't slowed down very much from the first lap. I figured the first lap would go out a little bit fast with the race excitement and making it to the start line just in the nick of time. I had been a little worried my legs would be cold in shorts, but I was totally fine. I tossed my gloves early in the race. I can't remember if it was after the 2nd or 3rd lap.



During mile 4 I ate a Gu without caffeine because I drank my iced vanilla latte drink in the morning before the race so I didn't think I'd need more caffeine until later in the race. I was carrying my small water bottle in the pocket of my shorts and drank some water every mile. I was feeling great and enjoying everything so much! I got into a good routine with my Gu where I ate my Gu and then tucked my trash in the front pocket of my shorts, then I threw the trash away on the next lap so I had something to do on each lap as I went through the start area. There were snakes on the timing frame which I enjoyed looking at each time as well. Miles 5 and 6 were 9:01 and 8:45 for a 3rd lap of 17:34. I knew from running the loop in the past that the first mile has a bit more incline and is slower than the 2nd mile which has a bit more decent. I also knew the loop usually measures around 1.96-2 miles on my watch, so each loop I was getting a bit more off the correct distance for the loop. It wasn't very noticeable until the last lap when I didn't hit mile 18 until almost half a mile into the last loop. When we went through the water stop after the 3rd lap, the guy ahead of me stopped and I finally got ahead of him. At that point I felt like I was striding out better and felt a lot stronger and more relaxed. With him in front of me, my pace would vary depending on his and would ebb and flow as his did. Is it weird that I enjoyed the race more when I was running alone?

I was a little bummed the photographer stayed in the same place by the finish during the whole race. The pictures make it look like a cross country race. While the trail isn't super technical, it is a trail race and has quite a few roots and rocks.

Miles 7 and 8 were 9:03, 8:31 with a loop time of 17:19 for my 4th loop. That loop was faster mostly because I was able to run what I felt like without someone right in front of me. I ate another Gu during the 8th mile. I told myself after that loop I would officially be halfway done. Miles 9 and 10 were 8:46, 8:35 and I ran the 5th lap in 17:20. I was checking the overall clock each time I went through the finish/start area to make sure I was on pace for 20 miles in 3 hours. By the halfway point I was almost 3 minutes under, going through at 1:27:02 rather than 1:30. I was so excited to be halfway done and still feeling so great! I knew it would be good to have a bit of a cushion just in case I started to struggle toward the end of the race. No matter how smart you run and how careful you are, in a long race anything can happen! I could feel my arm warmers chafing the inside of my arms and my arm pit as I ran. For whatever reason, even feeling that, I didn't take them off. I didn't toss them until later in the race. It might have even been around the half-way point, I'm not sure. I had planned to drop my bottle and pick up a new one at halfway, but I still had some water in my bottle so I decided to wait a lap.

Miles 11 and 12 were 9:02 and 8:42 and my 6th lap was 17:20. Looking at the loop splits, I am the most excited at how consistent I was. When I was able to run on my own, I was clicking off right around 17:20 per lap like a machine! My mile splits don't match up with the loop splits as I got later into the race because I started getting more and more off the distance of 2 miles per lap. When I went through the start finish area, I planned to get my water bottle but didn't see it where I had left it and missed it. I was a bit pissed because I had already opened the lid of my water bottle and drank everything I had. Then as I kept running and pulled my Gu out of my shorts, my last Gu for mile 16 got caught and fell out of my pocket. I had to run back to get it. At that point, I should have just taken the time to go back to get my bottle, but I didn't. I knew it was only 2 miles without water, but I was sad to eat my Gu without having anything to drink. My mouth wasn't too dry so it wasn't that bad, but I stared that lap a bit annoyed. Miles 13 and 14 were 8:51, 8:34 and my 7th lap was 17:21. Since I had missed my bottle the last time I ran through, the sweet aid station volunteers put it on top of the water cooler so I would see it, but I was looking down lower where it had been so I had to stop and ask where it was. That annoyed me because I was tired and didn't want to stop. They were so sweet and helpful and I hated that I was a bit grumpy about not being able to find my bottle. We chatted after the race and they hadn't even noticed I was grumpy, or didn't want to admit it, so I was thankful for that! I tossed my headband around in here.


I started my loop and turned the corner to see Ty with Carter and Elise right on the side of the trail. I was so excited and yelled out that I only had 3 laps to go! I felt so strong and was preparing to drop the pace for my last 2 laps. Miles 15 and 16 were 9:03 and 8:45 with my 8th lap in 17:29. I ate my last Gu and it was go time. Kathy, the owner of the store I'm on the race team for was standing by the start/finish, and said, "You have 2 laps left in you," as I went through and I said, "Heck yes, I do!" I started pushing the pace and was thrilled to see Ty with the kids again. I high fived the kids as I went by, but missed Ty. I told Ty I was on pace to run 10 laps or 20 miles in under the 3 hour cut off. I was starting to lap some runners during my 9th lap. 

Suddenly I noticed my head felt weird and my vision was starting to go kind of swimmy like it does when I get a migraine. I was still running fine, but I felt off. At first I thought it was the way the sun was shining through the trees and making shadows in my peripheral vision. Then I realized when I looked up in front of me, the people I was getting ready to pass looked a bit blurry. I had a 15 mile long run where the exact same thing happened to me, but I kept running and it went away. My head felt fine when I finished and I never got a migraine. I actually forgot about it until the next weekend when I ran 20 miles and the same thing happened again. That time it lasted longer and when my vision went more back to normal it was still a little off and my head felt weird. When I got home and stopped running, I immediately got a migraine. Both those runs I slept in and when I woke up, I brewed coffee and drank about 12 ounces of coffee before my run. I thought having coffee before my long run was the culprit, so before this race I just drank a little bit of my vanilla latte which would have less caffeine and I had drank before lots of long runs and races with no issues. I still think it has something to do with the caffeine so I'm going to go back to drinking some Nuun before long runs and long races as my pre-race caffeine like I used to. I wasn't sure what the vision issues would mean for me this time, but I was able to keep running and I told myself that I'd worked hard the whole race to put myself in position to finish 10 laps and I was going to do it! Miles 17 and 18 were 9:09 and 8:40 for my 9th loop in 17:10. It was really warming up and I'd felt fine until the very end of the race when my head got weird, I also felt really hot. I was glad it was cool for most of the race.

Picture with a guy who power walks trails in 12 minute mile pace! That's so amazing! He took a video and some pictures the last couple times I lapped him.

April was there looking at a watch as I came out of the woods toward the flat loop through the grass toward the finish line. She asked what pace I was averaging and I told her around 8:45-9:00 pace. She asked if I was going to get another loop in and I told her heck yes! I crossed the line in 2:36 so I knew I could run 12 minute miles and still finish 10 loops before time was up! As I started the last loop I lapped the guy who I'd been running behind for the first few miles. I felt like I could have run the last lap faster, but my vision was weird and it was throwing my depth perception off. I would be looking down, but not be able to tell a root was as tall as it was and I'd stub my toe on it and almost fall. I had multiple near misses during the last loop because my vision was weird and my head felt all wonky. I also had a couple times where I told people I was on the left and they didn't move over when they were walking 2 wide, so I had to go off the trail to get around them and tripped on a stump. I went through mile 19 in 9:05 and when I came out of the woods Kathy was yelling, "You have 3 minutes!" I thought she meant we were at 2:57 in the race and there were only 3 minutes left to finish. I was pretty confident I had more of a cushion than that, but I sprinted to the finish anyway. I kept missing the overall time as I ran through the finish area because I would get distracted by spectators and the aid station, but I knew I saw the overall time after lap 9 and I had almost 24 minutes to finish the last loop. My 10th loop was 16:59. I finished the 10 loops in 2:53:20. Looking back at past results, the previous best at Lubell was 10 loops in 2:53:35 so I was a little bit under that! Last year 2 women finished 10 laps, but this year I was the only one.


With April after the race.

My head hurt and I was struggling to get the words I wanted to say to come out correctly. I drank some water and Gatorade. Then I decided to run a little cool down in the field to finish out to 20 miles. My watch read around 19.6-19.7, I don't quite remember. Other people who ran 10 laps had over 20 miles, but I wanted my watch to read 20! Then I made a plate of food right as they started the awards. I was 1st female and 5th overall. I was most pleased when I looked at the results and saw my lap splits! They were 17:22, 17:27, 17:34, 17:19, 17:20, 17:23, 17:21, 17:29, 17:10, 16:59. I was super proud that my 2 fastest loops were the last 2! I ran a negative split with a 1:27:02 first half and a 1:26:23 second half! I felt so good about what I was able to accomplish and so proud of my even pacing and pushing through when things got weird. I ended up getting a very mild migraine and had time to shower and foam roll before loading cookies into my car and going to a Girl Scout cookie booth with Elise. We stopped on the way at Dutch Bros and I got a coffee. That combined with Tylenol had the migraine mostly kicked by the time I got home! I'm going to experiment with the long runs I have left and hope I can figure things out so I don't end up with a migraine in Boston! This race made me so excited for Boston! If I can run sub-9:00 pace on trails for 20 miles, I feel good about running 8:00 pace on pavement for a marathon! We got socks instead of a shirt for this race which was a fun change and I was excited to run in them the day after the race. I am toying with the idea of running the 6 hour option in the future. I think it's possible I could run 17-18 loops for 34-36 miles, but that might be totally crazy! We will see.

Getting my award from Kathy.

Top 3 women
My new socks!

2 comments:

  1. I was nervous just reading about how late you left for this race and that you parked blocking someone's driveway! The awards are really great. The vision thing is really scary! You're for sure on track for Boston, and I love that you're contemplating the 6 hour in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nerve wracking, not sure why I did that to myself! I was maybe a little bit too chill. The vision thing is scary, I'm hoping I get it figured out because right now it makes me nervous for Boston!

      Delete