Sunday, March 6, 2022

What I Read: February

February I was in a bit of a slump as far as book length. I couldn't bring myself to pick up a book that was much over 300 pages for some reason. There were a few longer ones and I struggled through a couple of them because my attention span just wasn't quite there for whatever reason. So although it looks like I read more than normal, they were all mostly shorter books.  

Books:

  • How to Raise a Reader by Pamela Paul & Maria Russo- I love these kinds of books and always come away with at least one idea. The book lists are my favorites and I put a bunch of books on hold at the library after reading this book. I picked it up for $4 from Books a Million. I will definitely keep it to reference the book lists. I was disappointed in how they characterized schools and teachers as not nurturing kids' love of reading and forcing certain kinds of books or not allowing kids to read graphic novels. That's definitely not the case in my classroom and I didn't appreciate that.
  • Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo- I was reading this book for days before I realized the cover had a pregnant woman splayed out like she was flying, not a bird. It cracked me up when I realized it. For as often as I pick books based on a pretty cover, I sure don't pay much attention to what is actually on them. 
  • Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech- This was the 2nd book written from Jack's perspective. I enjoyed it just as much as Love That Dog.
  • Florence Adler Swims Forever by Rachel Beanland- Ty picked this book out and gave it to me for Valentine's Day. It was such an interesting story and then in the author's note at the end of the book, I found out it was based on a true story from the author's family history.
  • Lore Olympus: Volume One by Rachel Smythe- I had never read a graphic novel for adults. I went to a training about using graphic novels in the classroom and they mentioned a few adult graphic novels. I decided to try one and I absolutely loved it! Now I'm hooked on this series. I love mythology and fairy tales. This story is about Persephone and Hades.

eBooks:

  • Lab Girl by Hope Jahren- This one took me quite a while to get through because parts of it were boring to me. I loved reading about trees and plants. The very beginning of the book really sucked me in and there were enough chapters that were captivating that it kept me plugging away.
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- This book was so good and I loved the illustrated books Max created that were included.
  • Days Are Beautiful: 100 Flash Fiction Stories by Andrea C. Neil- I really enjoyed all the Beverley Green Sasquatch Hunter books. I saw during the Covid shutdown Neil decided to write 100 word stories every day for 100 days and they made them into a book. I loved these little stories.
  • Somebody's Daughter by Ashley C. Ford- I picked this up off the librarian's pick section at the library. I decided I'd rather read a book I already had so I downloaded it as ebook instead. It was an interesting book.

Audiobooks:

  • The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket- Book #4 in the series. There's something about these books, for me it's the slightly dark humor that gets me to cracking up. They aren't happy or uplifting but I enjoy them every time.
  • Act Like You Got Some Sense: And Other Things My Daughters Taught Me by Jamie Foxx- I saw this on the new book shelf at the library and got excited thinking Foxx might narrate the audiobook. I was correct and I really enjoyed this. It was a short book so it didn't go very in-depth on any portions of his life. My favorite stories were those involving his grandma who raised him.
  • Carry On by Rainbow Rowell- This was the first in a series about Simon Snow. I've loved her other books I've read so I was really excited for one about wizards or magicians. It was not as good as I was expecting. I loved that spells came from nursery rhymes and songs.
  • The Music of Bees by Eileen Garvin- Mom recommended this one to me. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment