Tuesday, October 1, 2024

What I Read: September

Toward the end of September I got antsy to start my spooky October reads so I went ahead and started reading some books I planned to read in October. There were some eBooks I really enjoyed so I read them extra rather than having a regular book going at the same time. So I read fewer regular books than normal this month.



Books:

  • The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley- Lucy Foley does it again with a suspenseful book that kept me guessing the whole way. This book reeled me in immediately and then slowed a bit in the middle before storming off again at the end.

  • Here One Moment by Liane Moriarty- I went to the author event for this book and heard how Moriarty came up with the premise of this book which made it even better. She is so incredible and weaves everything together masterfully. The ending hit me in all the feels and I will be thinking about this for a long time.

eBooks:

  • The Secret Recipe of Ella Dove by Karen Hawkins- I loved the first book in the Dove Pond series enough that I decided to go ahead and read the 3rd one even though I didn't like the 2nd one very much. After slogging through to finish this one, I don't think I'll read any more books in the series. I love the premise of a family of sisters who all have special gifts and each book focusing on a different sister, but the last 2 books missed the mark for me.
  • No Surprises: 100 Flash Fiction Stories by Andrea C. Neil- These are so much fun. I feel like it's a little glimpse into her brain as she writes a flash story each day. My favorite part is how she comes back to the storyline days later and adds to it, it almost feels like that game where different people add paragraphs to a story until it's finished.
  • The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose- OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Once I started this book, I could not stop. I'm usually pretty good about putting a book down at bedtime, but she took it down to the wire and I HAD to know what happened so I finished this one well past my bedtime.
  • Weyward by Emilia Hart- Weyward women have an affinity for nature. They are able to touch insects, particularly bees, without being stung. They make poltices and help heal the sick. Some may call them withces, some may call them different. I loved reading the weaving of these stories and how they inspired each other to better their lives.

Audiobooks:

  • And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini- I absolutely loved the start of this book and the story of Abdullah and his sister, Pari. I especially enjoyed the story their dad told them which included mythology. Then the book wove in and out with other characters and I spent most of that time wishing to get back to their story.
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas- Celaena is the heroine I was looking for and disappointed not to find in A Court of Thorns and Roses. She is an assassin who can hold her own against anyone she is pitted against, a combination of Katniss Everdeen and Violet Sorrengail. There is magic, love, double crossing, and she meets every challenge with the ultimate goal: to earn her freedom.
  • Bloodmarked by Tracy Deonn- This book was so much more interesting and action packed than the first one! I liked getting an inside view of the round table and how the magic worked.
  • Pride and Premeditation by Tirzah Price- This was the first book in the Jane Austen Murder Mystery series. It was so cute. I always love a Jane Austen retelling. Add in a murder? Yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment